The “Offering of Letters” is sponsored by the Bread for the World (BFW) organization. BFW is a well-known and established collective Christian voice urging Congress to end hunger at home and abroad. Bread for the World is endorsed by the PC(USA). The PC(USA) encourages participation in the “offering of letters” as a means for Hunger Action Congregations, such as ours, to demonstrate “public policy witness” to combat hunger in the U.S. and around the world.
This year’s “Offering of Letters” campaign seeks reauthorization of anti-hunger provisions of the “Farm Bill.” The “Farm Bill” is passed by Congress for a period of five years; the current bill expires on 30 September 2023.
- The “Farm Bill” provides extensive Federal support to the agricultural community, but it also provides funding for a wide variety of anti-hunger programs in the United States and overseas. Specifically, the bill establishes policies and funding levels for the Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP aka the “food stamp” program), and other nutrition programs.
- 41 million Americans currently receive SNAP benefits. The Federal Government provides the overwhelming majority of food to those in need – approximately ten times the amount provided by non-profit organizations.
- The “Farm Bill” also includes provisions and funding for international anti-hunger programs.
- Learn More About the Issues
Find two fact sheets here from BFW about the two anti-hunger issues for which we are urging support:
Fact Sheet: VA Hunger and Poverty Snapshot
Fact Sheet: Farm Bill
- Prepare Your Letters
Below are links to four sample letters: one for each of your senators and one for your representative (either Rob Wittman or Jen Kiggans). You may prepare up to three letters (senators (2); representative (1)).
◦ You may use the samples, or
◦ Use the sample and include a personalized message, or
◦ Write your own letter.
◦ Please sign and print your name and include your address so the senator or representative knows you are a constituent. Note that these letters are offered both in Microsoft Office (.docx) and Adobe Acrobat (PDF) formats.
Download Sample Letters
Senator Tim Kaine
Representative Jen Kiggans
Senator Mark Warner
Representative Rob Wittman
- Send Letters
Mail the letter(s) to the address in the header of the letter; or
Email the letter on each congressperson's website:
Note: each website requires you to fill out a form before cutting and pasting in your letter/message.
- Report Back
Once you have sent your letters, please notify Jim Winthrop and tell him how many letters you sent and to whom. Jim will report the tally of letters to Bread for the World.
THANK YOU FOR YOUR PARTICIPATION!